Thursday, 21 August 2014

My Brace Experience: June 2012 - August 2014

Finally, after 2 years and 2 months of wearing braces, they have finally been taken off and I am left with hugely improved teeth. I wrote in depth about my first year of braces on my old blog, which is here if you're interested, so I'm just going to do a quick summary post about my experience.

Since I was just 8 or 9, I've been conscious of my teeth, to begin with it just my front teeth that bothered me, but by the age about 11 my adult canine teeth started growing above my baby teeth, rather than pushing them out. As you can see in the first photo, they were quite clearly out of place and very obvious as well and it's only looking back on the first picture that I can see how wonky the rest of teeth really were.

After multiple dentist appointed regarding my canines (or fangs, as they were often referred too as), I was told that I would just have to wait for my baby teeth to come out and the adult teeth would slowly move into place, however this didn't happen and I finally got my baby teeth taken out. Unfortunately, it seemed my adult canines were happy were they were and didn't move.

I ended up going to a private dentist, to see if they could do anything about them and I was told I would need braces. Braces through a private dentist are expensive and as I was told I couldn't have them on the NHS, it was a case of either paying the price or living with teeth I hated. Of course at 18, I didn't have that sort of money, but my parents said they were happy enough to pay for them and I honestly can't thank my them enough.

I got braces in the June after I finished sixth form and the next two years and two months consisted of monthly dentist appointments, wires being changed, a bite plate, elastics and a lot of cuts to my gums.
Despite how uncomfortable they could be at times and how much I hated that they made me look so much younger than I am, I'm so grateful to have had them.

I feel a hundred times more confident now that they're gone and I finally have straight teeth. I still find myself covering my mouth when I laugh or smile, which I did because I was so self-conscious of my teeth, but hopefully I'll get out of the habit soon enough.

So to anyone who has braces and is currently hating them as much as I did, don't worry, it will all be worth it in the end and to those considering getting braces, go for it! I find myself smiling so much more now!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Happy that you are loving your post braces teeth, they look very nice and a lot better than mine did! Think it looks so good putting the pictures in black and white as well btw :) xxx

    ReplyDelete