Thursday, 1 January 2015

2014 New Year Resolutions



I'm a big fan of to-do lists, so it's not really much of a surprise that I write myself a 'new years resolution/to-do list'. I don't always complete everything I set out to do, but that just gives me more motivation to be successful the next year.

Pass second year of University.
I'm very happy to say I was successful in this and I am currently in my third year of university.

Get a job.

By this, I didn't mean a serious, permanent job, I just wanted something for the summer. I worked as a waitress during my time off between second and third year and managed to save up some money, which I'm putting towards a few holidays next year.

Lose weight.

This one I struggled with quite a lot. My weight fluctuates by a few pounds here and there, but I found it difficult to get to my first goal. That was until this last month, when I finally reached goal weight #1.


Eat healthier.

This has varied throughout the year. Some weeks I eat great and avoid junk food completely, other weeks all I think about is biscuits. Safe to say I've eaten more than my fair share of packs over the year, but I'd say overall my diet has been fairly healthy.

Be happier/more positive.
Being happier is easier said than done, everyone has times when they're feeling down and nothing seems to be going right for them, so I decided to try and focus on all the good things in my life, no matter how little. Starting on October 20th, for one month, I set myself a task of writing down a few positive things everyday, whether that was seeing a favourite band live or just simply making one of the greatest cups of tea ever. It's weird how well it worked and I was genuinely feeling so much better each night before going to sleep.
Save up for and go on holiday.
I didn't think I was going to manage this at the start of the year, but I did it. My three best friends and I spent a week in Salou, Spain and it was such a great holiday. I definitely want to go away with them again in 2015.

See more bands live.
Sadly, I didn't really manage this one, which I'm putting down to lack of money, bands not playing in whatever city I needed them to be in and friends having a fairly different music taste.

Read More.
I really did get into reading a lot more this year, I always find my holidays to Ireland are a great time to read and I think I managed to get through 2 or 3 books in a week. My favourite book of this year was Ransom Riggs - Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children

Take more photographs.
I'm not too sure about this one. I did get quite a few photographs taken, but having only my phone camera to rely on meant I couldn't take as many as I would have liked, due to having to preserve battery. Maybe buying a decent camera in the new year would be a good shout.

Stop worrying so much.
This kind of links into the being happier/more positive thing. I'm quite laid back by nature, but sometimes, more often than I'd like, I do find myself stressing over things unnecessarily, but I think I can say I have stopped worrying so much about things that don't matter.

So, out of ten resolutions, I've completed eight, which I think is pretty good going.


6 comments:

  1. I love your 2014 list, it looks so pretty! I've also written down all the positive things that happen a while ago, but kind of forgot about it. It's such a good idea though, it just makes you realise that not everything is that bad in the end! Happy New Year! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year too you as well.
      Yeah, I do feel like I take for granted all the little things in life that are good, so it really helped me to appreciate them more :) xx

      Delete
  2. Good job for completing so many goals! I love Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children! Have you read the second one also?

    Renee
    www.losetheroad.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I haven't yet, I still need to get round to buying it, but I will be doing so very soon! xx

      Delete
  3. Love the last goal you put up there. I also worry too much, even about the littlest, simplest things. In the end, worrying wouldn't do us any good. So, we neeed to stop over-thinking the stuff that doesn't matter. Lovely post !

    xo
    colorsinmybubble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more! Thank you :) xx

      Delete