Tuesday, 7 April 2015

Taking Time Out

I'm not sure if anyone will have noticed, but this is my first blog post in over a month and I'm sure many of you will understand when I say it's due to not having the time because of uni work. I actually feel guilty doing anything, whether that be blogging or watching a film, when I have work to do.

However, a couple of weeks ago, after spending the whole weekend sat in front of my laptop writing my dissertation, I was hit by the most awful headache. I do suffer from headaches generally, but I knew this one was down to concentrating on a screen for two days straight. I ended up in bed at 8pm that night, close to tears because of the pain, but still, I couldn't take my mind off of my dissertation.

My boyfriend urged me to relax and get some much needed sleep and by 10:30 that night, I was in the land of nod and by morning I woke up feeling much better. That day, I hadn't actually planned to give myself a day off from work and in fact I didn't, I did about half an hour of researching, but the rest of the day I did what ever I fancied. I took myself into town, browsed the shops and bought a few things that I probably didn't need, but hey, you've got to treat yourself every now and again! I watched a few things on netflix, drank copious amounts of tea, relaxed and tried not to think too much about work. Overall, not a bad day at all.

Sometimes if you work and stress too much, it all gets on top of you and from my own personal experience, it makes the world of difference taking a day or two out when necessary. After my 'day off', I was happy to carry on with my work the following day and felt much better when doing so. Working too hard and/or for too long, tires your brain and it's likely you won't produce your best work when you're feeling over run, so really, it's counter-productive to push yourself. Take some time off and you'll feel the benefits.

This also relates to blogging as well, I got to a point just over a month ago when I wasn't posting as much as I'd like to have been and the content wasn't quite what I wanted. Over the last month, I've been thinking about my blog, writing up a few posts and deciding in which direction I want to take it. Hopefully, I'll get back into blogging very soon and you'll enjoy the new content.


1 comment:

  1. Great post, although it's important to work hard it's equally as important to take breaks! Sometimes I come back and am a lot more productive or inspired after a good break.

    Bethan Likes

    ReplyDelete