Saturday, 23 May 2015

What I've Learned While Being At Uni


So I'm now back home in Birmingham after moving back from Southampton where I lived while at uni. I don't think it has quite sunk in yet that I won't be going back there, I'm sure in a few weeks it'll hit me and there will be a few tears. As I've spent three years at uni, I thought I'd share a few things I've learnt while there.


You'll meet some amazing people you'll love and some people you'll hate.
This is mainly in reference to living in halls. I was unlucky in that I had to share a kitchen with someone I didn't get on with. There is no excuse for playing music stupidly loud but wearing ear plugs. Think of the people around you. Also, sexist comments - no thank you. However, I also met some great friends at uni and I couldn't imagine them not being in my life now.

Live off takeaways, ready meals and general junk food, or learn to cook.I'm ashamed to say I started my uni life eating Pot Noodles, tinned Mac & Cheese and Chicken Burgers. Once I  turned Vegetarian and then Vegan, my diet improved massively and I started cooking healthier meals, which has led to me being much more passionate about cooking. I'm not saying train to be a Michelin star chef , but I'd suggest learning a few basic recipes.

Value your time there, appreciate the lazy days, as they won't happen so often in the future.I'd often sit around with nothing to do and complain that I was bored. I'm sure when I'm working full-time, I'll regret complaining and wish I had that sort of free time again.

You will change, whether that's in style, maturity, outlook on life, etc.My style has changed quite a lot since starting uni, I've gone from being an Omnivore to Vegan and I feel like I've matured and become more confident.

You will learn to appreciate your family a lot more.I went off to uni at 18 and I'll be honest, I thought I'd be happy to get away from my family and live on my own. While I liked living away, I really missed my family and now I'm rather happy to be back home.

Train prices are utterly horrendous.I'm sorry but trying to charge £50 for a single ticket from Southampton to Birmingham is ridiculous. If you're going to uni and will be using a train, get a young persons rail card! Up to a third off train prices.

You might not know what you want to do career-wise.I'm still stuck for what I want to do with my degree. People keep asking me what job I want and I can't give them a proper answer. At the moment I just want a job that pays a half decent wage to get me by. I'm hoping I'll figure it out some time soon, but I'm not stressing over it too much. I'm only 21. 


8 comments:

  1. Great post! I graduated college almost 3 years ago now and I still have NO idea what I want to do as a career lol Growing up stinks.

    Renee | Lose The Road

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally feel you about the job one! I've just finished my second year and I'm coming to the realisation that I won't have decided on my 'dream job' by the time I leave! Also, I'm at Birmingham uni, so I may see you around at blogger events/meet ups in the future!

    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah wicked, hopefully see you soon then! x

      Delete
  3. I've only just finished my first year, but I definitely agree with number one, there's so many disrespectful people in halls, I cannot wait to move into a house! Good luck finding your dream job xx

    Floralchaos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it, some of the selfish peoples you'r forced to live with, urgh. Living in a house is so much better, hope you enjoy it! x

      Delete
  4. So nice that you learned all those things as well as the contents of your classes. The one most important thing I learned while in university was critical thinking. As for finding a dream job... it can take years, believe me on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly do believe you. I'm only 21 at the end of the day - I'm still young, I've got time! haha x

      Delete