Wednesday, 23 September 2015

Growing Up | Friendship


This post is a little different from my usual style, it's a lot more personal


For seven years, up until three years ago, I would see my closest friends for a minimum of five days a week, as we went to Secondary School and Sixth Form together. With that clearly not being enough, we would also spend many weekends together, whether it was stopping at each other’s houses and eating enough junk food to make us nearly sick or hanging around town drinking Strongbow from the bottle (stay classy). That was, as I said, until a few years ago, when Uni made us go our separate ways. I ventured to the South of England to study in Southampton, some 150 miles from Birmingham and my closest friends.

Thanks to good old technology, keeping in touch was easy thanks to Facebook and being able to text each other whenever we wanted and as soon as we were all back in the same city during holidays, it was like we had never been apart.

Fast forward to now and things are more difficult. With two of my three closest friends still at University in various parts of England, my friends from Uni all back home and scattered about the country, working on different days and at different times each week and fitting in family and boyfriends, we don’t get to see each other as much as we would like. In fact, I haven’t actually been able to see any of my friends from Uni since I left Southampton in May (cry).

It would be quite easy to get down about it, my friends have been in my life for years, I love them to bits and wish I could see them more often, but sometimes other parts of life get in the way. With all the different components of life, it’s not always easy to find a day when we’re all free to do something, or to have the money to travel a few hours away to see Uni friends in their hometown.

Friends are those who should be there for you through the good times and the bad and you should be able to go a few weeks/months/maybe even years without seeing them, but then when you finally do, it’s like no time has passed at all and you can pick up where you left off.

I’m writing this having just got home after a few cocktails with my closest friends. I haven’t seen them in about a month or so and two of them are back off to Uni this weekend. We had a lot to catch up on, talking about holidays, work and just general gossip and I loved seeing them.

This post is kind of a little message to all those friends I don’t see as much as I like too/haven’t seen for a long time. I still love you and I will see you as soon as I can. And to those who may be in a similar position to me, struggling to balance everything, don't worry about it. Your friends are your friends for a reason and they understand, or are probably feeling the same way.

Bloglovin | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter 




No comments:

Post a Comment