Monday, 20 February 2017

My Tattoo Removal Experience | Part One





























So I have a tattoo I want to get rid of...






So for a bit of background, I got this tattoo at the age of 17 by someone who didn't really know what they were doing - but hey, I didn't care, I was young and wanted a tattoo -and a bit of an idiot as well obviously. Clearly, it was badly done, but I've lived with it, got used to it and don't really notice it's there anymore, but one day near the start of last year I decided I wanted to try and get it removed.

I'd obviously heard that tattoo removal is painful and I've seen tv shows in which people couldn't bare the pain of it, but I have quite a high pain threshold so thought I'd be able to handle it.

I emailed Karma Collective and sorted out a free consultation. The tattoo removal expert is Angie and she runs Angie's Skin Shots out of the shop. At the consultation Angie went through all the details of tattoo removal and I had a skin test with the laser to see how I reacted to it.

I'm not going to lie and say it didn't hurt, but it was definitely bearable and no where near as bad as I was expecting. The skin around my tattoo was red and it did itch a bit, but it was fine and healed up pretty quickly.

At each session, the level of the laser goes up? (I'm not sure if that's the right term, but I'm going to go with it). So of course each session gets a bit more painful. It wasn't until my fourth session that the pain became real, but I just focused my mind on something else - I was actually watching the machine counter go up and up with each time the laser was being shot at my skin - so relaxing, right? My skin reacted quite badly in the later few sessions and there was swelling and blistering, but that's not uncommon. It's best not to do anything to the tattoo and the skin around it, apart from apply some ice soon afterwards to take away some of the heat and apply aloe-vera gel to sooth it if you feel that's necessary.

With each session since, it's blistered a fair bit and any one who has seen it has been repulsed to be totally honest. As gross as it may be, the blisters and redness go after a week or so and I can see a massive difference in the tattoo, so it's all totally worth it.  

There is no way of knowing how many sessions I'll need, it just depends on my body. In which case, I'm not sure how many 'parts' of My Tattoo Removal Experience there will be, but hopefully not too many! I think I've had five or six sessions so far and I'd estimate that I'm about half way through, but that remains to be seen.

I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but if you're looking into tattoo removal and have any questions about my experience with it, feel free to leave a comment or drop me an email.

Also, just a shout out to Angie. She's the loveliest woman and was brilliant at explaining the whole process to me and I just couldn't recommend her enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment