Monday, 7 August 2017

A Trip To Galway, Ireland

A home away from home. 


I'm pretty sure I'll have mentioned this on my blog before, but I go to Ireland pretty much on a yearly basis. When we're over there, we stay in Mayo, but always go to Galway for a day to visit family. Despite having been to Galway countless time now, I've never really explored it properly, so my sister Louise and I decided to spend a couple of days there this summer.

We stayed at Barnacles on Quay Street - a perfect location as it's right in the centre of town. During the 48 hours(ish) that we were there, tourist attraction-wise, we visited the Galway City Museum and Galway Catherdral. Even if you're not into religion at all, the Catherdral is absolutely stunning and you can also learn about the history behind it, which is really interesting.

With plenty of bars to pay a visit to, myself and Louise managed to grab a drink (or a five) in a fair few of them and there was live music in each whether that was traditional Irish ceili music or a band playing. Eating out as a vegan in the west of Ireland was a lot easier than I thought as well. Fat Freddy's just across from our hostel is an Italian restaurant that have vegan cheese on offer, so obviously I was pretty happy about that and had a delicious pizza our the first night. I got a falafel wrap and chips in High Cafe Restaurant and Riordan's kindly made me up a salad panini and chips as there was nothing vegan on their menu.

The streets of Galway are filled with buskers and there are street performers on every corner and there's nothing better than listening to live music in the sun, so when the rain did stop every now and again, me and Louise were in our element. We were sad to leave Galway as our time there went far too quickly, but at least we were leaving to head to Mayo to spend some time in the countryside.

Bloglovin | Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter   

No comments:

Post a Comment